Services & attractions
Monte San Savino was already an Etruscan village when it was fortified in Roman times around a castle that was then called Aialta (Area Alta). In the 13th century, Monte San Savino passed under dominion of the Ubertini family, the lords of Arezzo. The town walls were pulled down in 1325 by the Ghibelline bishop of Arezzo Guido Tarlati as a punishment for the town having taken side with the Guelphs, who were supported by Florence. Monte San Savino was once more inhabited by 1337 and passed under the rule of Perugia, then under the dominion of Siena and finally in 1384 under Florence’s.
The Duke of Tuscany Cosimo de’ Medici granted Baldovino del Monte (brother of Pope Giulio III whose family came from Monte San Savino) the feudal holding of Monte San Savino in 1550. By the same act the town was conferred autonomy of jurisdiction and the status of county. Subsequently, the feudal holding passed to the Marquis Orsini (until 1640), then to Mattias de Medici (until 1667) – who was Grand Duke Ferdinando II’s brother – and was the possession of Vittoria della Rovere, the grand duke’s wife, until 1694. In 1748 the town returned stably under direct authority of the Tuscan state. For two Centuries Monte San Savino was home to a thriving Jewish community, until the dispersion in 1799 due to the “Viva Maria” movement. Monte San Savino is the birthplace of famous sculptor and architect Andrea Sansovino (1467 – 1529).
Private trekking trial
Sporting goods shop
Local products stores
Restaurants (about 20 in the town center and nearby)
Arezzo Km. 25, Cortona Km. 30, Montepulciano Km. 36, Pienza Km. 40, Lago Trasimeno Km. 46, Montalcino Km. 54, Siena Km. 50, Perugia Km. 75, Firenze Km. 80,
Roma Km. 210, Chiusi della Verna Km. 64, Assisi Km. 95, Tyrrhenian Sea - Castiglione della Pescaia Km. 130.